We back entrepreneurs building a better world.
Better Ventures provides funding and support to technology companies pursuing social and environmental outcomes with business models that scale. We back passionate entrepreneurs leveraging the tools and methodologies of the modern technology startup to address some of society's biggest challenges, from narrowing the opportunity gap to improving health outcomes to accelerating the transition to a clean energy economy. Given the magnitude of these problems and the enormous market opportunities they represent, we seek to back founders with the intellectual capacity and drive to build truly world-changing companies. If you're up for that challenge, we want to hear from you.
What We Invest In
We back smart and scrappy teams of two or more co-founders building highly scalable and capital efficient technology companies that address big global challenges. We look for significant and measurable social or environmental impact potential that is created directly through the use of a company's products or services or through the supply chains that produce and deliver them. We are currently pursuing opportunities in three investment themes:
What We Look for
We look for the following characteristics in the startups we back:
- Two co-founders, one technical. Ideally CEO and CTO.
- Information technology product with a significant intrinsic social or environmental impact
- Minimum viable product or fully-deployed product
- Encouraging initial indications that customers love your product (see How We Invest below)
While we will review funding applications from anywhere, we have a strong preference for companies based in the San Francisco Bay Area, with a special emphasis on Oakland and Berkeley because of the high level of our engagement and due to our commitment to the East Bay startup ecosystem. If you're looking for office space or considering a relocation, we can help you secure space at ImpactHub Oakland.
How We Invest
Better Ventures is a high-engagement seed fund that provides capital, expertise, and an extensive business network to help startups get to the next level. We look to invest up to $1M in each of our portfolio companies over multiple financing rounds, with initial investments ranging from $100k to $400k (typically for a 7-10% stake) and the remainder reserved for follow-on investments in later rounds. This is how we invest:
- Pre-Seed: we invest $100k to $200k in pre-seed stage companies with two co-founders (one technical) and a minimum viable product that is pre-market validation but has early signs of encouraging customer engagement. We want to be the first significant investor in your startup, and we will work intensively with you to help you make significant progress towards product-market fit, at which point we will look to lead your seed round. We make pre-seed investment decisions on a rolling quarterly basis through our PreSeed program.
- Seed: we invest $250k to $400k in seed-stage companies with strong indications of product-market fit (like high usage per user and/or customer willingness to pay) and encouraging customer growth metrics (like double-digit monthly user and/or revenue growth). We make seed investments in new companies as well as existing pre-seed portfolio companies that are ready to go to the next level.
- Series A and Beyond: we invest up to $1M total in our portfolio companies including prior investments and follow-on at Series A and later rounds. We rarely make a direct Series A investment into a company that we did not back at the seed stage.
Apply for funding here.
Additional Resources We Provide
Beyond investment capital, we provide support and resources to help startups get to the next level. We are often a company's first significant outside investor, and we devote considerable time and effort to help you succeed. We provide our portfolio companies with the key services they need to get to a successful Series A financing round, including:
Apply for Funding
If you're a smart and scrappy entrepreneurial team passionate about leveraging technology to build a better world, we want to hear from you! Please visit our application page to apply for funding. We review applications for funding on a rolling basis, and we typically make our pre-seed investment selections on a quarterly basis.